ADDRESS
Plot 567
Mosi-o-tunya Road
Livingstone
Zambia

}

OPEN Everyday
09:00 - 16:00
CLOSED: 25 December and 1 January

ENTRY FEES
Residents: Adults K10 Children K5
Non-residents: Adults US$5 Children US$3

History of the Museum

The Livingstone Museum is Zambia’s oldest and largest museum. The collections date back to 1930, when the Secretary of Native Affairs convinced the Government of the importance of collecting the material culture of the various ethnic groups, which was fast dying out. Consequently, the Government set aside funds for the purchase of cultural artefacts by district officers. These collections formed the foundation of the museum.

1934

The Museum first opened its doors to the public in 1934 in the old Magistrate’s Court building.

In the same year it was extended into a memorial of David Livingstone, the famous Missionary and Explorer and first white man to see the Victoria Falls and, as such, became known as the ‘David Livingstone Memorial Museum’.

First Location of the Museum – former Magistrate’s Court

1937

The Museum found its second home in 1937, in the former United Services Club building. 

Second Location of the Museum – former United Services Club Building

 

1939-1951

The Rhodes-Livingstone Institute was started and incorporated with the David Livingstone Memorial Museum. In 1939 the collection was expanded to include relics of Cecil Rhodes and the British South African Company. In 1946, the Museum and the Institute were separated and the Museum’s name changed to the ‘Rhodes-Livingstone Museum’.

In 1945, fund-raising for a Museum building started. Work on the building started in 1949 and was completed in 1950. It was designed by Major W J Roberts in Spanish style. The museum was officially opened in 1951. 

The current museum building completed in 1950 and opened in 1951. 

1963

In 1963 a research wing was added to the museum building to provide workspace and storage rooms for Archaeology, Ethnography and History. 

The research wing added in 1963

 

1966

In 1966 a Natural History Wing was added. The name of the Museum changed from the Rhodes-Livingstone Museum to its present name of the Livingstone Museum in 1966. 

Second Location of the Museum – former United Services Club Building